New ideas for Doubling

I have been thinking a lot about how we can break through to the other side with doubling on stage, particularly with the use of video projection or shadows. If we think more out of the box technically, embracing the possibilities of the proscenium stage, I think we could create some jaw-dropping doubling moments. Here are a couple of my ideas, but please comment on this post with your ideas.

1) I think we should experiment with projecting video or doing shadow puppetry onto volume media like smoke or fog. I'm imagining that if we had multiple angles projected from multiple projectors onto a column of smoke or layers of smoke, we could create a ghostly double. We could probably get a pretty good effect with just one projector on smoke. We could also interact and disturb the volume media while it's being projected on. There are some youtube videos of people playing with this and I think we could take it much further.





2) Use of multiple scrims or translucent plastic sheets to build hidden layers on stage. These could serve to let a second actor more effectively become a blurry or shadow double of someone. Also, we could project video or shadows onto the scrims from front or back to build deeply layered moving stage scenes filled with doubles, triples, quadruples ... you get it.



And I can't watch this at work, but from the description, it sounds cool.

3) Interaction with live video of yourself on stage using strange uncanny angles or uncanny projection surfaces. I've seen this effect used by Robert LePage though I can't find a video of it. I think we could break out of the mold with how the projection surface is created as well: imagine strips of translucent fabric that are blown up from the floor with air to create a sort of "fire" of fabric, or suspended from above, then project an image on that, maybe even a live image. What if we could create essentially a scrim strip projection that could be passed through by an actor. Imagine one of us seeing a fucked up projection of ourself live on such a surface, approaching it, then walking through ourself, like the Mirror Gate in The Neverending Story.

4) A less tech based idea is to use masks of strange uncanny versions of ourselves, or to blank out the face of a second actor, have them dressed the same as the first actor except faceless, an eerie body double.

5)Going further with replacing performers on stage with other similar looking performers. I like the idea, but I don't think we've really embraced it. What if we could really trick the audience, really replace someone on stage with such care (costumes, wigs, other identifiers) that the audience starts to question their own memory (a la Lost Highway).

Okay, that's all I have time for now. Time for the rest of you to comment on this!

1 comments:

La Foi said...

Love these ideas. And you know what's funny, Saturday night I stayed up until 5am laughing my ass off watching the video of Jimmy Blue, H2M's 2004 outdoor extravaganza -- it's not all bad, it's just so serious and so funny to look back on now -- and anyway, we actually DID use masks based on our real faces to achieve the doubling effect, but the masks weren't actually very good and I don't think we were successful at all. Still: a great idea.

And I still think that some uses of mask can be incredibly effective at evoking strangeness.

I was also watching old video for the Wild Child and it's crazy -- I can't tell the 3 women in the show apart (even though one of them is me!) b/c we're all wearing black and wearing our hair the same way. Something so simple makes me, Erin Leddy and Amy Jo look IDENTICAL.

So I think you can create doubt and mess with people, in some really simple ways.

woo hooooooo!

Post a Comment