Costume thoughts

Here are everyone's thoughts on the ground control costume question (if the continuum is 1 = sporty uniformed team and 5 = personal clothes a la RAM or EWLLY):

MARC: As far as costumes, my vote for base costume would be toward the uniform end. Check out these astronaut undergarments:

www.flickr.com/photos/smallritual/4365724485/
msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090317_Discovery_space%20clothes.widec.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the tight fitting t-shirt/bike shorts combo. We could also just go straight for the unitard (perhaps with a hot astro-toolbelt) I like the spirit of the star tek uniforms, but I would want to avoid evoking actual thoughts of star trek. So I guess in the 1 to 5 scale, I vote for 1.

LIZ: As for costumes. I like what Jeb says here.

JEB: Costumes, i think something a little uniform but with personal touches would be great for the Home Base to make it seem like there is some structure to what we are doing.

KATE: For the costumes, again I think it depends on the story. Do we want to up the meta level (a la voiceovers that reference H2M?) Or create a different base level world of the play? I can see us going in either direction. If the costumes-as-you-normally-are thing is something you feel you've done a lot before, then would a departure be compelling? Or is there some kind of meta-narrative/dialogue among the productions that would ask for the more street clothes-esque approach?

I wonder about referencing star trek (as on the blog). What does it say to reference that look? What does that mean for our story? Do we want our audiences to go there with associations?

So I come in with more questions than answers. I am inclined to vote more street clothes-esque. Maybe there are three levels? Street clothes, then base uniform for ground control, then alien world?

MAESIE: For costumes, I don't want us to look too extreme either direction: uniform or casual clothing. I definitely don't want to look like Star Trek, but the idea of having uniforms that are casual but look like we chose them from a pre-determined set of options seems good. On the other hand, it reminds me a lot of EWLLY: sporty, semi-unified outfits and it's sort of a safe non-choice, which isn't that great. I guess I'm very ambivalent at this point. Maybe we should all wear black unitards and white dresses.

JERRY: I'm not sure where my costume vote would fall on the number spectrum. I like individual, but sporty. Posted some Star Trek ideas here: http://space.hand2mouththeatre.org/2010/04/ground-control-outfits.html

FAITH: I think I'm falling more on the 'uniform' spectrum than individual, though I share Maesie's reservations about being too EWLLY-like if we go sporty. I like Maesie's idea of doing black unitards, actually. I like the idea of it being uniform and underwear-like but the weirdest most unlikely version of that -- what you would not expect astronauts to be wearing underneath their space suits. Actually maybe more like Russian cosmonaut wrestlers, what they wear in my imagination. Which is basically a black unitard. Hm. Well not according to Google Image search though: foundmark.com/pers/gallery/parkas/army/images/suits.jpg

JULIE: I like the idea of something tight and strange as our base wear, but I really hope that is is MUCH more interesting than bike shorts and t-shirts. Or, if it is something so plain, that the base can be modified through the performance to reveal a much stranger under-base. I like the idea of a unitard type outfit with some removable parts, maybe a sleeve that can come off, or a back piece that is removed to better experience the memories. I don't think the under costumes need to be identical, but much more so than not (4 on the scale out of 5).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3593053047_525a1dc892.jpg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjG1yf0OmhLebmXysM0qykk_UJ4fIgxDMRj9uJkIByVhVueZGUt7Gd8HjlpJwNKmj6jCnU_NIXhjpwhADBLk0-8AeWGpw6xxIX1AICWQ1xPDkdCExfP-4IURCgrqJ_Geq5KyeeXupo4vlY/s400/unitard.png
http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/Topshop-studded-unitard.jpg
http://coreygilmore.com/uploads/2008/07/unitards-300x273.png
http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/images/detail/serve.asp?media=rsa8330td_Army_Black.jpg
http://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Dwight-Eubanks-First-Look.jpg

alternate to tyveks…? 4.bp.blogspot.com/_b4mZSnRHUAw/SjJWcgF1XEI/AAAAAAAAAzE/XlUkKy1RCWA/s320/IMG_7566+2.jpg

this is just too good to pass up. maybe liz's mom can knit these…
2.bp.blogspot.com/_1I7KiCuAU4k/SGWewn7ArWI/AAAAAAAABYI/D7QMv-PGHu4/s400/birdo_unitard.jpg

2 comments:

Maesie said...

I love Julie's second pic. I think I'm still kinda hung up on the full body tattoo. The tie dye one is kinda neat too.

Check this out: www.shop.shabdismyname.com. This woman uses photos of the solar system as inspiration for her tie dye. I also found a tutorial she did online for Martha Stewart: www.marthastewart.com/article/tie-dyed-leggings.

La Foi said...

AHH I love the uni-sweater! And the other ones freak me out but I see where you're going.

Post a Comment