The Color of Pomegranates

I've been hesitating to bring in Sergei Parajanov's film "The Color of Pomegrates" as we are fairly seeped in high-art and delicously slow images. But! I can't get some of his strange images and tableaux-vivant out of my head and I thought to share. One thing I like about Parajanov, and this film in particular, is what comes across as an odd sense of humour, born I imagine, from his inspiration of illuminated Armenian miniatures. He wrote: "I wanted to create that inner dynamic that comes from inside the picture, the forms and the dramaturgy of colour."

Despite the often very long takes, there is a quickness to his ideas; it seems he felt very comfortable putting a many small ideas into a picture, which opposes nicely to Tarkovsky who felt very comfortable exploring a single idea for a very long time.

Please note the chicken.


This has loads of images but not the real soundtrack. PLEASE turn off the sound and put on anything else, or nothing at all.

1 comments:

La Foi said...

This has been said in rehearsal already, but I really love how strange and creepy yet light these images are. Creepy even seems too strong a word... they are loaded with meaning but often it's an odd mix of whimsical and menacing, like the pomegranates bleeding on the tablecloth and the church top flying around. Awesome.

Post a Comment