Jodorowski

If we're going to look at other crazy 70's movie dream sequences, I'm sure there's something from Jodorowski ("The Holy Mountain" or "El Topo") that would fit the bill. He totally blows my mind. Just check out the Wikipedia on him.

"Alejandro Jodorowski...is a Chilean scholar in comparative religion, playwright, director, producer, composer, actor, mime, comic book writer, tarot reader, historian and psychotherapist."

He now practices something called "psychomagic". "Psychomagic aims to heal psychological wounds suffered in life. This therapy is based on the belief that the performance of certain acts can directly act upon the unconscious mind, releasing it from a series of traumas, some of which are passed down from generation to generation." What?! Awesome!

1 comments:

La Foi said...

oh man oooooooh man you brought Jodorowski into it!

Maesie, what you probably don't know is that in 2004-05 we made a show called Jimmy Blue which was HIGHLY (and I do emphasize the high) influenced by El Topo. That show later became Blue. Man. I'm going to find some video of Jimmy Blue and post it here. It featured a Bee Man, tiny stilts, puppet versions of actors, a giant set of scaffolding, and a character in giant stilts known as PESTILENCE.

Oh man. Let's talk about it. At the time I had a hard time getting into El Topo (I still like to say BURY YOUR FIRST TOY, AND YOUR MOTHER'S PICTURE randomly, just for fun) but it makes sense to return to it now.

It's interesting, we were talking yesterday in rehearsal about how it's only sci fi movies that seem to have those long establishing shots of Man in Desolate Place, but then I realized that you also see this a lot in westerns. ESPECIALLY Jodorowski. I didn't know about hte term PSYCHOMAGIC. I love it.

Post a Comment